Varsity acquires new medical equipment to enhance practical training, research and community services
Mount Kenya University has acquired innovative scientific equipment worth over Ksh. 20M that will be used to enhance practical training, research and community services at the college of health sciences.
The equipment were handed over to the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Deogratius JAGANYI by Chairman Board of Directors, Prof. Simon Gicharu in Thika main campus. Also present during the handing over were Dr. Vincent Gaitho, Pro-Chancellor and Mr. Eliud Ng’ang’a the Principal laboratory technologist who inspected and will spearhead their installation and utilization process.
Among the many equipment that were received, includes dental machines listed below which are one of the kind in the health sector training and diagnostics and they will help the university to launch more programmes in the master level especially in dental training and also offer community services.
- Dental units – for examining and treating dental patients
- Model trimmer- for shaping dental models to desired designs
- Pindex machine- used for precision placing of die pins
- Dental cutting machine – for separating individual dies
- Acrylizer- used for processing heat cured dentures
- Flexible denture machine- for processing flexible dentures
- Centrifugal casting machine- automatic machine for metal casting
- Centrifugal casting machine – manual machine for metal casting
- Dental vibrator- used when casting models free of air bubbles
- Electro-polishing machine- for automatic polishing of metal prostheses
- Micro-motors and suspension motors – for denture finishing purposes
- Porcelain furnace- for processing porcelain fused to metal crowns
- Polishing lathe – polishing of dentures
- Sand blasting machine- cleaning of metal castings
- High speed dental cutting machine- cutting/grinding metal castings
- Hydroflask- curing of orthodontic appliances
- Anesthesia machine-An anesthesia machine is a medical device that supplies oxygen gas along with other inhalation anesthetics to the patient. The main purpose of an anesthesia machine is to supply inhalation anesthetic and to assist in the breathing of the patients. It is useful in any kind of anesthesia such as local, regional, or general anesthesia.
- Diethermy machine – is a machine used for therapeutic treatment most commonly prescribed for muscle and joint conditions. It uses a high-frequency electric current to stimulate heat generation within body tissues. The heat can help with various processes, including: increasing blood flow, relieving pain, improving the mobility of tissues as they heal