New Programme Alert: Bachelor of Science in Medical Biochemistry
While striving to fulfill the gaps identified arising from the needs survey, Bachelor of Science in Medical Biochemistry programme has been designed to meet the following:
- Absorbing the massive number of students with minimum qualifications for University admission from Secondary School who are eligible for direct entry into the course. The programme is also open to person with relevant qualifications such as diploma and higher diploma who are eligible for mid-entry and may avail credit transfer subject to entry requirements.
- To meet the needs of Biomedical and Chemical sciences and Molecular Biology research and academic institutions, or self employment in these areas.
- To make the course more encompassing, the students will be trained to become knowledgeable in humanities and other professional courses. Furthermore, to fit into the competitive and very challenging real world, the students will be trained on entrepreneurship, environmental issues, quality assurance and control.
In light of the above, Mount Kenya University has a taken the challenge to train a cadre of personnel with the requisite competencies in the area of Medical Biochemistry.
Why study the programme
To gain skills and knowledge in areas of Biomedical and Chemical sciences and or Molecular Biology/ Biotechnology.
Careers in Medical Biochemistry
- Work in national research institutions.
- Clinical study coordinators in pharmaceutical industry.
- Quality control officers in pharmaceutical and food manufacturing industry
- Laboratory analyst at the Kenya Bureau of Standards and Government Chemists.
- Teaching biochemistry in secondary and tertiary institutions
- Work in hospitals as biochemists.
- Work as Medical Writers and Medical Representatives in the pharmaceutical industries.
- Pursue postgraduate training in areas of Medical Biochemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology and Molecular Biology.
Minimum entry requirements
KCSE certificate with a minimum mean grade of C+ and grade C+ (plus) in Biology or Biological Sciences, C+ (plus) in Chemistry or Physical Sciences, C (plain) in Mathematics or Physics and C (plain) in English or Kiswahili
KACE certificate with a minimum of two principal passes in science subjects and O level with a Credit in Biology/Chemistry
Diploma with at least Credit in a relevant discipline from an institution of higher learning recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate.
Duration of study: 8 semesters
Modes of study: Full time (Regular)